Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Leadership - Pre-class reflection

I reviewed the syllabus for the Leadership course here at Centenary. To be blunt, I was initially overwhelmed. For many years, I've left my heavy workload and tight deadlines in the office. After a few days to chew on the syllabus, and to complete the first two threaded discussion original responses, my nerves have settled.

Overall, I hope to learn additional leadership styles to which I may adapt in order to fit the problem at hand. It will be very interesting to see which of these styles is employed by those I work with at ADP, and, perhaps which styles may be incorrectly employed. In particular, I'm curious to see where my leadership style(s) fit. Of course, I hope to reaffirm some of the leadership practices I already utilize, but that is only because it's good to think you're doing something right.

I am very much looking forward to session 4. During this session, we're going to focus on concepts such as vision and vision statements, construction of company communications, and aligning business plans to vision. These are areas with which I have little experience yet will be necessary as my career progresses. I am also interested in what the LPI assessment has in store.

One other item of interest -- while I have been writing for quite some time (several short stories, two complete novels, and two incomplete novels), crafting my first essay in many years is a bit daunting.

1 comment:

  1. Jay:

    First, let me say how refreshing it is to have a student who can write in complete sentences (sad, but true).

    Second, don't let the anticipated work load overwhelm you -- take it one assignment at a time and you will be fine.

    Dr. Plantamura

    ReplyDelete